"What Does Blue Want to Make Out of Recycled Things?" is the fifth episode of Blue's Clues from the second season. It was the twenty-fifth episode to be produced and the twenty-sixth to be aired.
- Question: What Does Blue Want to Make Out of Recycled Things?
- 1. A Paper Towel Roll
- 2. A Tissue Box
- 3. Rubber Bands
- Answer: A Guitar
- Living room picture: A blue recycling sign
- Felt Frame picture: A green recycling sign
- Bedroom picture: A green recycling sign (again)
- Skidoo location: Recycle Town
It is clean up time and Steve and Blue find things to clean up. Steve gets the idea that they could turn the trash into something else. He draws a recycling logo. They play a game of Blue's Clues to figure out what Blue wants to make out of recycled things. Steve gets his notebook from Sidetable Drawer. Steve explains how to play Blue's Clues to the viewers at home. After that, he had to wash his hands. As he pulled the last piece of paper towel, he spots the first clue on the empty paper towel roll. Steve draws the first clue in his notebook. But he needed two more clues.
Steve encounters a group of recycling bins and figures out what things belong in which bin. Steve gets an empty soup can and puts it in the metal recycling bin. Next, he gets out an empty juice bottle and puts it in the plastic bin. Now, he gets out an empty milk carton and he puts it in the paper bin. Finally, he gets out some scrunched up aluminum foil and puts it in the metal recycling bin. Steve thought he was done and as the waste bin tips over to the side, there was an empty tissue box which was the second clue. Steve draws the empty tissue box in the notebook.
Steve had two clues: a paper towel roll and a tissue box. He needed one more clue. Now, Steve and Blue help Tickety make something neat out of her old stuff. Blue starts by covering the coffee can with the paper. Next, Blue adds some buttons in the can and gives it a shake. Blue helped Tickety make a maraca. In the mail-time segment, Mailbox had some paper to throw away. So, he recycles it in the paper bin. Immediately after that, he gives Steve his letter. After that, Steve and Blue Skidoo into Recycle Town where they help the mayor Al Luminum to find ways to recycle all sorts of things since nothing in Recycle Town are ever thrown away, it is all recycled.
They start using two paper cups attached to a string making a phone. Next, they make a net using two poles and plastic holders in which soda cans get put in. Finally, they attach a tire onto a tree making a swing. After that, Steve heard the sounds of rubber bands which was the third clue. Steve draws the third clue, rubber bands in his notebook. Steve had all three clues. He and Blue Skidoo back home and Steve sat in the thinking chair and had to figure out what Blue wants to make out of recycled things. The clues were a paper towel roll, a tissue box, and rubber bands. Steve thought he could put the rubber bands over the tissue box and attached the paper towel roll to the side of the tissue box. And if Blue were to pluck the rubber bands, it would make a strumming sound. The answer to Blue's Clues was a guitar. Blue could use the tissue box for the body, the rubber bands for the strings, and the paper towel roll for the neck. They just figured out Blue's Clues. The group of characters came back as Blue was making a homemade guitar. It was time for The So Long Song. Blue played her homemade guitar while Steve played his acoustic guitar. After the song, the episode ends.
- Steve (North America)
- Kevin (United Kingdom)
- Duarte (Portugal)
- HyunShup Shin (South Korea)
- Sidetable Drawer
- Tickety Tock
- Mr. Salt (Mentioned by Tickety)
- Mrs. Pepper (Mentioned by Tickety)
- Recycle Bins (only appear in this episode)
- Al Luminum (debut)
- This episode can be considered an Earth Day episode.
- Technically, this episode involves recycling things, and earth day is a similar topic to this episode.
- This is the first episode to feature the accordion in addition to the drum kit at the beginning of the theme song.
- Brass instruments are added to the the theme song. It was not put to permanent use yet.
- Steve says the tissue box was leftover from when he had the sniffles. This is a reference to Steve Gets the Sniffles.
- This is the first episode where Steve didn't give out a wrong answer. It was put to permanent use on later episodes in season 2 starting in Blue's Birthday.
- This episode is also known as "Recycle Day" on online listings.
- This is the only episode where Steve draws a recycling logo with a finger.
- This episode and the closing credits music appears on the VHS release of Blue's Discoveries alongside the previous episode.
- Dieu Donne Papermill, Inc. in New York, NY, receives a Special Thanks credit with the note "Not for profit, dedicated to the art of hand papermaking."
- This episode appears on a DVD release: Nick Go Green!
- Blue's howling at the end of the Mailtime song sounds similar to the next produced episode What Was Blue's Dream About? except it is quieter.
- This is the only time Blue almost barked the entire Mailtime song except for when Steve sings, "When it comes I wanna wail".
- In the Mailtime Segment, Mailbox had a crumpled piece of paper, which he says he is going to throw away, but Steve is shocked at the idea and we advise him to recycle it.
- This is the second episode where Steve plays the guitar for the So Long Song. The first being Blue's Favorite Song.
- The pawprint clean-up shows a reversed version of Blue placing her pawprint on the screen. This is the only time this happens.
- This was likely a way Blue "recycled" the pawprint to use later.
- This is the first sentient appearance of the Recycle Bins.
- Al Luminum (the mayor of Recycle Town) gets Steve's name wrong three times (Stu, Stone, and Stan).
- Steve reminds him that Steve is his name.
- In the Korean version, HyunShup does not trace the recycling logo on the pawprint, rather it traces itself.
- Angela Santomero is credited as Angela C. Santomero.
- Blue's Discoveries (VHS, 1999)
- Nickelodeon: Go Green! (DVD, 2010)
|Blue's Clues Season 2|
|Steve Gets the Sniffles | What Does Blue Want to Build? | Blue's Senses | What Experiment Does Blue Want to Try? | What Does Blue Want to Make Out of Recycled Things? | What Was Blue's Dream About? | Blue's ABCs | Math! | Blue's Birthday | What Does Blue Want to Do with Her Picture? | What Does Blue Want to Do on a Rainy Day? | Blue's Surprise at Two O'Clock | The Lost Episode! | Blue's Sad Day | What Game Does Blue Want to Learn? | What Did Blue See? | Nurture! | Blue Is Frustrated | What Is Blue Trying to Do? | Mechanics!|