"What's That Sound?" is the 4th episode of Blue's Clues from Season 3. It was the 44th to be produced and aired.
- Question: What does Blue hear?
- 1. Drops of Water
- 2. A Cloud
- 3. A Sound (Boom)
- Answer to Blue's Clues: A Thunderstorm
- Living room picture: A horn, then a rattle, then a rubber duck, then a car; all with sound waves
- Skidoo location: Movie projector
- Felt Frame picture: Felt Friends holds a Paper Cup Phone
In this episode, we listen carefully to hear all sorts of different sounds. We start out hearing a noise and identify it as wind chimes coming from outside. Later, we use noises to help Shovel and Pail follow a gopher to a neat-sounding stream. Later, we skidoo into a silent black and white movie to fix it up by adding sound effects to it.
As we head inside, we can hear some sort of ringing sound. Steve wants to know what it is and so we try to figure it out. We think maybe it could be a set of keys, but they just jingle, they are not the ringing that is heard. We finally find out that the noise is being made by some wind chimes. We play Blue's Clues to find out what it is. Soon, the first clue, drops of water are found. We then find Shovel and Pail outside, giggling. It turns out that a gopher has shown up and he is going to lead them to a stream that makes a pretty sound. We follow him by using sound clues. First, we hear the splashing of water, then the rustling of leaves, and also the gopher's giggling. After finally reaching the stream, we decide to go for a walk and listen to some of the sounds of nature, like a frog croaking and a cricket chirping. Soon, the second clue, a cloud is found. When mail time comes around, Mailbox and Steve make their favorite funny sounds. Later, we find Mr. Salt, Mrs. Pepper, and Paprika watching a movie. The problem is that it does not seem to have any sound and Mr. Salt is not able to fix it. So, we skidoo into the movie, a black and white silent film, and help Blue to use sound buttons to add in the proper sounds that go with the images on-screen. After the last clue, a sound button that makes a booming sound is found Steve sits in the Thinking Chair. The answer turns out to be a thunderstorm. Steve, Blue, Gopher, Shovel, Pail, Mr. Salt, Mrs. Pepper, and Paprika sit together and listen to the storm. Steve sings the So Long Song, and the episode ends with the sounds of the storm.
- Steve (North America)
- Kevin (United Kingdom)
- Duarte (Portugal)
- HyunShup Shin (South Korea)
- Sidetable Drawer
- Mr. Salt
- Mrs. Pepper
- Felt Friends
- Movie Characters
- The main music of the series is muted during the opening scene where Steve asks the viewers to find Blue and throughout the closing credits.
- This is the only episode to not have any form of music during "The So Long Song".
- This is the only episode to not use any form of music in the credits, just a bunch of sounds heard from presumably right from the couch used in the last scene of this episode.
- This is the second time that Steve loses his temper. The first is Blue Is Frustrated.
- This happens when Steve is curious as to how Blue got a pawprint on a cloud as the second clue.
- This is the third time Steve wears his tan shoes.
- This was the only episode that not to use fish in the Nick Jr. logo.
- Because of the trees in this episode, we can tell that this was taken place during the fall.
- It is shown that the viewers can read Steve's lips.
- This is the first episode since Season 1 to have Blue appear four times during the credit sequence. The other times were Animal Behavior! and Hide and Seek.
- The reason Blue heard the storm before it even arrived is that dogs have much better hearing than humans do.
- This episode is the second of two episodes on the "Stop, Look and Listen!" VHS.
- This is another episode where "No" was heard from "What Does Blue Want to Do on a Rainy Day?, Pretend Time", and "What Time Is It for Blue?".
- This is the only time Steve freezes when singing "We are Looking for Blue's Clues".
- This is the second time the line "A Clue" was used; the first time was from Blue's Sad Day.
- The footage where Blue jumps onto the screen after the Play Blue's Clues song in this episode would be used in the Nick Jr. Kids Opening bumper and Nick Jr. on CBS and some VHS recordings.
- The footage where Steve says "Bye!" in this episode after The So Long Song would later be reused in the Nick Jr. Kids Closing bumper and on some VHS recordings.
- In the credits, the animation of Blue wagging her tail returns. She also peeks over from a different angle.
- The wind chimes that Blue built from Art Appreciation appear in this episode.
- On the table, there was Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper's water xylophone from What Does Blue Want to Do on a Rainy Day?.
- In the UK and Portugal versions, Mailbox goes "Woohoo!!!" (Woohoo-uekh! in the UK version) instead of "Phwooonk!".
- For the "blu-bleh-blah" sound, it's "bobolobolobolob" in the UK version, while in the Portugal version, Duarte flutters his tongue.
- For the last sound, Kevin makes a gargling sound, while Duarte goes "La la la la."
- The question "What's that sound?", asked by Dora and Boots in the Travel Song in the Dora the Explorer episode "Hic-Boom-Ohhh!" may be a reference to this episode.
- That episode was aired a year after this episode aired since Dora the Explorer was launched on Nick Jr. in 2000.
- Like this episode, Dora and Boots try to figure out what is making the "Hic-Boom-Ohhh!" sound that they hear. It turns out to be Benny the Bull, who has the hiccups. They also hear other sounds in the episode, such as the Big Red Chicken and Swiper snoring in the Quiet Forest.
- In the UK and Portugal versions of this episode, when Kevin and Duarte were drawing the third clue, the respective hosts' hands and notebooks were in front of the wrong backdrop (the yellow and white checkered kitchen floor instead of the wooden floor when he and Blue were adding sounds to the silent movie).
- Blue runs in a backward circle during the Mailtime segment.
- When Steve and Blue go out to the patio to see the rain, a Boom mic can be seen on top of the screen.
- In Pistas da Blue's version, when Duarte yells GEEMO, he doesn't know which way Blue went. He went to the right. You can't even see Blue when he says GEEMO.
- When Mrs. Pepper says "Steve, we cannot hear a thing!" her mouth briefly doesn't move.
- Steve identifies Sidetable Drawer's sound as "the sound of you opening the drawer." He should have said "the sound of you opening yourself," since she is supposed to be herself, not just the drawer.
|Blue's Clues Season 3|
|Blue's Big Treasure Hunt | Art Appreciation | Weight and Balance | What's That Sound? | Animal Behavior! | Blue's Big Pajama Party | Draw Along with Blue | Hide and Seek | Thankful | Blue's Big Holiday | Pool Party | Anatomy | Signs | Nature | Geography | Occupations | Blue's Big Mystery | Periwinkle Misses His Friend | Blue's Big Musical | What's So Funny? | Blue's Big Costume Party | Inventions | Blue's Play | Prehistoric Blue | The Wrong Shirt | Words | Shy | Magenta Gets Glasses | Environments | Stormy Weather | Blue's Collection | Café Blue|