Steve is a main character in Blue's Clues, was the host and main protagonist for the first four seasons along with his friend Blue, and is played by Steve Burns. He is the older brother of Joe and the cousin of Josh. As of Blue's Clues & You!, he is a detective at the Blue Prints Detective Agency.
Steve is Blue's first caregiver. Steve is always ready to play Blue's Clues and always needs the viewer to help to figure out problems and find clues. Steve likes anything that is green-striped, just like his shirt. Steve went to college on a hopscotch scholarship. Steve enjoys finding clues when playing Blue's Clues, drawing clues also while playing Blue's Clues, imagining, helping others and discovering new things. Steve is not very witty and will most likely forget things. Steve often needs assistance finding clues from the viewer and is very compassionate.
In Blue's Clues & You!, Steve finally achieves his dream of being a detective as he currently runs the Blue Prints Detective Agency.
Steve has fair skin and brown hair. He wears a green striped shirt with horizontal slats, tan pants with a belt, and black shoes. In the pilot episode, Steve wore a red collar t-shirt. In some episodes from the third season and the Season 4 episode "Blue's Backyard Ballgame Bonanza, he wears tan-colored shoes. In the Pixar animated film, his collar is the same color as his shirt rather than a usual white collar.
In Blue's Clues & You!, he wears a pair of sunglasses underneath his regular glasses, and has a darkish tan hat with a green striped tie to resemble his old shirt but still retained it's color of pants at some point.
Steve appeared as the host for 100 out of the series' 143 episodes. He debuted in the unaired pilot Blue Prints and made his first official appearance in "Snack Time", the first episode of season one. He hosted every episode from then until "Steve Goes to College" (the fourth season's final episode), in which his role was taken over by Joe. He returned for the special "100th Episode Celebration" and makes a voice-over cameo in "Blue's First Holiday". He made an additional appearance in "Behind the Clues: 10 Years with Blue"; Coincidentally, he made a cameo appearance in the Disney Pixar film Up.
For the reboot, he has only appeared in Meet Josh! and Blue's Night Before Christmas. It's unknown if he will make many more appearances after that.
- Steve is right-handed in the series, whereas Joe is left-handed.
- He's a fictional version of himself.
- Steve had never found a clue by himself until the movie "Blue's Big Musical Movie." In every other one of Steve's appearances, he needed You, the viewer, to help him.
- Steve is the older brother of Joe, who eventually became the show's host in 2002.
- Steve mentions in the episode "Environments" that he had a pen pal from Peru, who lived by a wide curvy river.
- Steve doesn't get startled as much. He did so get startled in 2 episodes from the beginning of the series; "Snack Time" and "Mailbox's Birthday."
- In "Snack Time." he got startled when he was in the living room looking for Blue when and fell down backwards only to find out it was the phone ringing and that it was Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper telling Steve that Blue is in the kitchen.
- In "Mailbox's Birthday," when he was in the middle of trying to figure out Mailbox's birthday party game with a tape player and a tape cassette, Tickety was trying to get his attention. Tickety tried calling out his name softly 2 times and then she shouted his name causing him to fall down backwards on his bottom instead of his back only to tell him that it was almost time for Mailbox's birthday party.
- Steve does not appear in all the versions of the show when it went international, although his iconic outfit is unaltered when other people play his role, like Kevin from the UK.
- He got Blue by wishing that he could have the blue puppy (Blue) in one of his storybooks, and when he said that, Blue came skidooing out of the book and into Steve's arms.
- It is never revealed in the series if Steve and his family have a full name, though fans consider "Burns" to be his last name.
- Steve didn't mention Joe until "Joe's First Day". the first part of the 3-part TV-movie.
- In "What's So Funny?," he thinks shoes belong on ears, though he is always shown wearing shoes on his feet.
- Steve doesn't appear in "Blue's Room", his brother Joe is the only one that does.
- Steve is the 1st clue in "Magenta Comes Over".
- Steve lives at home with Blue until the episode with his name in it where he goes to college and his younger brother moves in.
- Steve, Joe, Josh, Miranda and Julia are the only characters who are live-action, even though they are in a cartoon world, but whatever anything Steve touches turns live-action.
- He is the right answer to Blue's Clues in Draw Along with Blue but the wrong answer in Blue's Big Musical.
- A cymbal brush sound effect is heard whenever Steve finds a clue. However, there a few moments where a cymbal brush sound effect is heard when Steve sees something that is not a clue.
- In The Lost Episode!, the sound effect was heard when Steve sees a feather duster beneath a blanket, the puppet he made for Blue on the Thinking Chair and Blue's backpack in the backyard.
- In Blue's Big Treasure Hunt, the sound effect is heard when Steve see's a picture of Little Miss Muffet on the wrapper he was holding.
- In Hide and Seek, the sound effect is heard when Steve found Blue standing on top of the bed after hiding under the bed.
- In The Wrong Shirt, the sound effect plays when Steve sees all the opposite changes that occurred after Bob skidooed into the house.
- In Stormy Weather, the sound effect plays when Steve sees the snowy weather through the window.
- Story Wall is the only episode with Joe to feature the cymbal brush sound effect, and it was heard during the beginning of the rabbit's story.
- Steve is mistakenly called by the word "Stew" in Adventures in Art (when the viewers found the second clue the first time).
- So far, Meet Josh! and Blue's Night Before Christmas are the only episodes of Blue's Clues & You! in which Steve appears in person, though he is mentioned by Mailbox in 123's with Blue, and mentioned in Sleepy Singalong with Blue. It is unknown if he will make more appearances after those two.
- Steve sung "I Hog the Ground" in Jack's Big Music Show, another show that aired on Noggin/Nick Jr.
|Blue • Steve • Joe • Mailbox • Sidetable|
Mr. Salt • Mrs. Pepper • Paprika • Cinnamon
Shovel • Pail • Tickety • Slippery
|Magenta • Periwinkle • Snail • Felt Friends • Turquoise|
|Other recurring characters|
|Baby Bear • Boris • Gingerbread Boy • Green Puppy • Horace|
Miranda • Miss Marigold • Orange Kitten • Purple Kangaroo
|List of minor characters|