"It's pretend time and we need to figure out what Blue wants to pretend to be. Along the way, we locate cloud shapes, determine the best objects to play pretend house with Shovel and Pail, and go on a jungle safari to locate animals with various attributes!"
- Question: What does Blue want to pretend to be?
- 1. A Helmet
- 2. A Star
- 3. A Rocket
- Answer to Blue's Clues: An astronaut
- Wrong Answer: Putting a helmet on the star, and "rocket" (rocking it)
- Living room picture: The jungle (skidoo location)
- Felt Frame picture: Freddy & Fifi flying, then Freddy & Fifi went to Outer Space
Steve has an interest in flight and pretends to be a bird and later a plane. They help out two actual birds who are pretending to see things in clouds. They also playhouse with Shovel and Pail and later skidoo into a picture of a jungle and help some rare animals to find their friends (a baboon, a dragonfly, and a frog).
- Cecilia Gonzalez, relative of future Senior Animator Dayna Gonzalez, is one of Steve's Friends in this episode.
- In production order, this is the first episode Duke Burger was the assistant editor.
- Netflix mistook this episode as the first.
- Starting in this episode, Steve's voice is lower-pitched and more calm, though there are some instances where his voice is back to higher-pitched, as was the case in all other episodes in mid-late Season 1. However, the next episode A Snowy Day was the first aired episode that his voice was like that.
- This episode was the basis for the pilot episode of the canceled Latin American version of the show, Pistas de Azul.
- This is the second produced episode to use the usual "No It's a clue" line from "Adventures in Art".
- Blue's wagon (which also first appeared in that episode) was used by Shovel and Pail when they were pretending. It also held several items that they used to pretend with and was one of three options of what item can work as a house.
- This episode is the second and last time Steve and Blue skidoo into a picture of a jungle. That skidoo picture previously appeared in "What Time Is It for Blue?".
- The elephants from "Pretend Time" also resemble the one from the previously stated episode from behind when she hid among the rocks.
- In the VHS Version, Blue hides behind Mailbox instead of hiding behind the flowers in the intro.
- Also, the viewers did not say There she is! in the intro.
- Starting with this episode, Tickety Tock and Mailbox appear during the theme song.
- Sidetable was the only character that had nothing to pretend in this episode because all she said was "Blue's Clues, I'm so excited" and was not yet fully developed.
- When Steve tries to figure out after finding two clues, a re-shot of him with his mid-late Season 1 hair is used.
- When Steve and Blue look for the red-nosed baboon, an alternative version for "We Are Looking For Blue's Clues" is heard.
- This also happens in What Time Is It for Blue?.
- This is the first time Blue shakes her head no without covering her eyes when Steve gets the incorrect answer to Blue's clues.
- When Steve says "Hey! Blue!", he used his alternative Early Season 1 voice. When he says "I'm pretending to be an airplane!", this also happens.
- This is the second episode where two clues are found outside with only one clue found inside.
- This is the first episode where both of the first two clues are found outside.
- By this episode, the lighting was starting to improve along with the animation.
- The three baboons are a reference to the three wise monkeys.
- The Thinking Time segment music was later reused in Superfriends, during the skidoo segment.
- This episode features a Noggin Turkey logo.
- When the rocket moves away after the wrong answer, the sound of Mailbox wiggling his flag is used.