Mr. Salt is the father figure of the Blue's Clues house. He lives in the kitchen with his wife/girlfriend Mrs. Pepper and his children, Paprika, Cinnamon, Sage and Ginger. He speaks with a French accent and works as a chef. He is sometimes clumsy and often needs help from Steve or Joe after making a mess in the kitchen. His favorite food is toast with cheese, and cookies are his favorite thing to bake. Mr. Salt is Mailbox's best friend, and they like each other because their personalities are so different.
Aside from cooking, Mr. Salt's hobbies include dancing and tending to the garden outside of the Blue's Clues house. He and Mrs. Pepper are the oldest residents of the house; as seen in "Blue's First Holiday," they were adults while the others were all babies. It is assumed that he is one of the owners of the house.
Mr. Salt is an off-white color with a silver-colored cap. There are three black-colored holes on the top of his cap. He has a pink mouth and black eyes. His arms are short and black with three fingers on the ends of each one. In the series, he is made to look like he was created with construction paper cut-outs.
Mr. Salt appears in nearly every episode of Blue's Clues, counting the opening and credit sequences. He is only seen in the credits of the "Bugs!" episode. His first appearance was in the pilot episode, "Blue Prints." His last appearance in an episode of Blue's Clues was in the series finale, "Bluestock." He makes additional appearances in the Blue's Room episode "Meet Blue's Baby Brother" and in the "Behind the Clues" special.
- Mr. Salt was the 1st clue in the episode "Blue's News."
- In "Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper Day," a photo shows Mr. Salt as a child planting a garden.
- Throughout the first three seasons, Mr. Salt is one of the only four characters to appear in the credits along with Mrs. Pepper, Tickety, and Blue.
- Mr. Salt's voice actor, Nick Balaban, also worked as one of the two main music composers on the series.
- Until the events of "Imagine Nation" (original series) and "Blue's Big Imagination" (reboot), Mr. Salt had never used his imagination.
- Mr. Salt was mentioned in the 25th episode of Nickelodeon Animation Studio's podcast series on December 16, 2016.
- Mr. Salt was originally given a Brooklyn accent instead of being French.
- Mr. Salt may have been inspired by the mâitre d’-turned-candelabra named Lumiere from Disney's Beauty and the Beast in which both characters are French and love to serve food and guests.
- This character is not to be confused with the one from the 1971 film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".
|Blue • Steve • Joe • Mailbox • Sidetable|
Mr. Salt • Mrs. Pepper • Paprika • Cinnamon
Shovel • Pail • Tickety • Slippery
|Magenta • Periwinkle • Snail • Felt Friends • Turquoise|
|Other recurring characters|
|Baby Bear • Boris • Gingerbread Boy • Green Puppy • Horace|
Miranda • Miss Marigold • Orange Kitten • Purple Kangaroo
|List of minor characters|