"Mechanics!" is the twentieth episode of Blue's Clues from Season 2. It is the fortieth episode to be produced and aired.
- Question: What do we need to fix?
- 1. String
- 2. Wind
- 3. A Diamond Shaped Piece of Paper
- Answer: A kite
- Living room picture: A green car
- Skidoo location: A road race game board
Steve and Blue teach the viewers on simple machines that make things move or work.
Blue plays with a toy plane, while Steve is pretending to fly an airplane. We play Blue's Clues to figure out what we need to fix. Blue leaves a paw-print on the screen. Steve sings to the viewers that they were gonna play Blue's Clues. He explains the Blue's paw-print will be on the clues, Blue's Clues that is. Steve touches the blades on the helicopter pawprint and the helicopter pawprint flies away. Sidetable Drawer opens up her drawer. Steve reaches in and grabs his notebook. Sidetable Drawer closes her drawer. Steve tells the viewers that to play Blue's Clues he has to find a paw-print because that is the first clue and then he has to put it in their notebook because they are Blue's Clues. Steve and Blue had to find another paw-print, that is the second clue, they had to put it in their notebook because they are Blue's Clues. Steve and Blue had to find the last paw-print, that is the third clue, they had to put it in their notebook because they are Blue's Clues, and they had to sit down in the thinking chair and think.
Blue went in the direction of the kitchen. Steve finds the first clue on string and draws it in his notebook. Blue & Steve go outside. Shovel and Pail are playing with toy cars. Gopher is in the hole. Shovel and Pail build 6 blocks on 2 toy cars. The cars drive down the ramps. Steve finds the second clue on wind and draws it in his notebook. It is Mailtime. The letter is about 3 kids recording voices with a microphone. Blue & Steve skiddoo in a road race game board. The rabbit and pig fix the cars with tools. A skunk throws the diamond shaped piece of paper in the road. Steve finds the third clue on a diamond shaped piece of paper and draws it in his notebook. After that, Steve collected all three clues. Now it was time to sit in the thinking chair. Blue & Steve skiddoo back home, but Steve sits in the thinking chair and is ready to put all 3 clues together. The clues are a string, wind, and a diamond shaped piece of paper. The answer is the kite.
After figuring out Blue's Clues, Steve & Blue get ready to fix the kite. Blue tapes the kite with sticky tape. They saw the kite flying to the sky. Steve sings the So Long Song and the episode ends.
- Steve (North America)
- Kevin (United Kingdom)
- HyunSup Shim (South Korea)
- Sidetable Drawer
- Gopher (debut)
- Skinny Pig
- Casey Joshua Pitts, one of Steve's Friends, is related to the original voice of Slippery Soap, Cody Ross Pitts.
- This is the last episode where all the main characters are credited as Steve's friends.
- This is the last time (except for Weight and Balance, Signs and Inventions) where Steve stands up in a striped background holding up his notebook for a few seconds and tells the viewers he needs their help to figure out the answer to Blue's Clues.
- This was filmed in 1998.
- When Steve says "I think my car will go faster", he sounds like the Sock Puppet voice.
- This is the fifth episode where two clues are found and drawn outside with only one clue found inside.
- This is the third time where the second clue is drawn outdoors after finding the first clue in the living room. The first two are Blue's Favorite Song and What Does Blue Want to Build?.
- This is the last episode to use Steve's Steve Gets the Sniffles OST. This is also the last episode where Steve looks vibrant in his color during Play Blue's Clues. From Pool Party to Signs, the studio's quality largely improves.
- This marks the first episode to feature a character in a skidoo location dropping a clue after passing by.
- It is followed by The Snack Chart.
- They both had the third clue.
- It is followed by The Snack Chart.
- This was the last episode to feature the order of character actions that debuted in Steve Gets the Sniffles during the credits.
- The high tone Skidoo music for skidooing from the late season 3-6 OST was heard instead of the low tone Skidoo music. Other episodes where this happened in were the first six episodes, Blue's Senses, What Experiment Does Blue Want to Try?, What Does Blue Want to Make Out of Recycled Things?, Blue's ABCs, Blue's Big Holiday and Pool Party.
- When Steve honks the horn of the pig's car, a boom mic can be seen on top.
- When Steve goes from the Skidoo location to the Thinking Chair, he erroneously pretends to drive a car, even when he Skidoos out, instead of his usual Skidooing.
- He even honks the Blue Skidoo theme before skidooing out.