The mailbox is a cheerful object of his namesake. He lives at the foot of the pathway in front of the Blue's Clues house. He likes to make others laugh and wants to become a comedian when he grows up. He speaks with a thick New York accent. Mailbox sits on a post outside when he is not delivering the mail or telling an incoming e-mail. When he has a letter for Steve, Joe, or Josh, he uses an extension arm to enter through the living room window to the right of the Thinking Chair. His extension arm is impractically long and can transport him anywhere.
Mailbox's favorite hobbies are delivering letters and telling jokes. In almost every episode, Steve, Joe or Josh sing a special song ("Mailtime") before Mailbox delivers a letter or telling an incoming e-mail. On some rare occasions, such as in "Blue's Big Pajama Party," Mailbox makes a special nighttime mail delivery. Mailbox's catchphrases are "Mail's here, mail's here!" and "You're welcome!"
Since Mailbox lives in front of the Blue's Clues house, he is usually the first person to greet visitors. In the first four seasons, Mailbox is also the first character to appear in each episode. When the opening sequence begins, he is seen smiling and swaying back and forth on his post, like a kind of silent greeting to the viewers.
In the original series, Mailbox was voiced by Michael Rubin. Rubin was one of the show's two main music composers, along with Nick Balaban, and wrote almost all of the series' score and songs. Rubin was always credited under his stage name, "Seth O'Hickory."
Mailbox is mostly dark purple. His face is on his door, which is a lighter shade of purple and has a silver latch at the top. He has a bright pink flag, which is connected to him with a small purple bolt. His eyes are white and oval-shaped with black pupils. His mouth is pink, matching his flag.
When Mailbox is shown outside, he is usually positioned on a long post. The post was purple in earlier episodes and the opening sequence. Starting with "A Snowy Day," it became grayish black. However, it was still purple in the opening sequence until season four.
In the reboot, Mailbox's design is slightly updated. His body gets a metallic shine, and he has some visible dents. He also has a tongue and a more reddish mouth. He is voiced by Doug Murray.
His first appearance was in the pilot episode, "Blue Prints." In addition to the original show, Mailbox appears in the "Meet Blue's Baby Brother" episode of Blue's Room and in the documentary "Behind the Clues: 10 Years with Blue."
- In the UK version, Mailbox's name was changed to Postbox.
- Mailbox's favorite party game was originally Musical Chairs. This is the answer to Blue's Clues in "Mailbox's Birthday". However, in the later episode "Blue's Birthday," he says his favorite game is Pin the Flag on Mailbox.
- Mailbox is the third clue in "What Does Blue Want to Do with Her Picture?"
- He is the only character to have his age confirmed. (10 years old).
- He is the first character in the series to celebrate a birthday.
- He is also the only non-human, non-animal character to celebrate a birthday.
- Mailbox is voiced by the same actor, Michael Rubin, throughout the entire series.
- In "Shy," it is revealed that Blue was shy around Mailbox when she first met him.
- According to "Colors Everywhere!," Mailbox's favorite color is yellow, like the letter he delivered in the same episode.
- Six episodes do not feature Mailtime and We Just Got a Letter: "Blue's Big Musical," "100th Episode Celebration," Blue Takes You to School," "The Legend of the Blue Puppy," "Skidoo Adventure," and "The Fairy Tale Ball."
|Blue • Steve • Joe • Mailbox • Sidetable|
Mr. Salt • Mrs. Pepper • Paprika • Cinnamon
Shovel • Pail • Tickety • Slippery
|Magenta • Periwinkle • Snail • Felt Friends • Turquoise|
|Other recurring characters|
|Baby Bear • Boris • Gingerbread Boy • Green Puppy • Horace|
Miranda • Miss Marigold • Orange Kitten • Purple Kangaroo
|List of minor characters|