Joe is Steve's younger brother. When Steve leaves for college, Joe stays with Blue and becomes the new host for the rest of the show (which means seasons 5 to 6), along with Blue. Joe loves squares, like the ones on his shirt, and can't wait to play Blue's Clues. Like Steve, Joe's favorite color is green (as proven in the episodes “Joe's First Day, "Steve Goes to College", "Colors Everywhere!", and "The Big Book About Us"), even though he is seen wearing five other colored shirts, unlike his brother who wore just a green shirt. He also has a stuffed duck named Boris and his notebook is shaped just like the Thinking Chair. As of Blue's Clues & You!, he works at the Present Store. He is played by Donovan Patton.
Joe is blue's second caregiver and he took over the complete role of Steve as the host after the 5th season began in 2002. This was a difficult task for the film people of the show, for Steve, and for many of Steve's fans. After the 6th season started, Nick Jr. decided to play reruns of episodes from seasons 1-4, and still does to this day, making it easier for Steve fans to get used to the new host. Then, Nick Jr. decided to play returns of episodes from seasons 5 and 6. Steve did not appear in the last 2 seasons because he went to college but he visited from college in the 100th Episode Celebration and calls Joe and Blue and is seen as his younger self in Blue's First Holiday.
In Blue's Clues & You!, Joe is working at the Present Store. He makes several appearances in the reboot as well.
Joe has brown hair, fair skin, and wears tan pants, brown shoes, and a shirt with a horizontal square pattern. Depending on the episode, Joe's shirt colors alternate between Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Purple, and Orange.
Joe appeared in 48 episodes of the show, starting with the last three episodes of season four. Joe appeared every episode of seasons five and six. Joe's first appearance was in "Joe's First Day," and his last appearance was in "Bluestock."
- Joe is the only host who is left-handed in the series.
- He is the only host who is not named after his actor.
- He is the only character to wear different colored shirts. His shirts are red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Steve always wears a green shirt and Josh always wears a blue shirt.
- He is also the only host to wear pajamas that's not his favorite color.
- During the summer of 2002, he hosted Nick Jr.'s summer shorts, Summer with Joe for the event of the same name.
- Joe's notebook is shaped like the thinking chair.
- Tuba music is heard when Joe draws a clue.
- Although he is the younger brother, Joe is taller than Steve by 5 inches (he is 6 feet tall).
- When Patton auditioned for the show, he had no idea that he was auditioning for a kid's show. He thought he was auditioning for a show that involves the blues.
- He is the only host that does not play guitar. However, he does play the kazoo.
- Joe was a clue two times in the episodes "Blue Goes to the Doctor" and "Joe's Clues."
- He is the only host to never give out wrong answers, thanks to Steve advising him not to give out wrong answers in Joe Gets a Clue.
- Joe is commonly mistaken as Joe Burns, due to Steve Burns using his real first name as Steve unlike Donovan Patton, but this is false as neither Steve nor Joe have a surname revealed in the series, and neither Steve nor Joe are related in real life.
- Just like Steve (in season 1), Joe's voice is high-pitched in some episodes.
- Joe is the only host who doesn't say after getting the notebook "You know, I think/I can tell I'm really gonna need your help today figuring out/trying to figure out (insert question here)." He did say it in some episodes like Steve Goes to College, A Surprise Guest and Blue Takes You to School.
- Before Joe’s introduction, there was a promo on who’ll become the new host of Blue’s Clues. The options were Joe or Squidward from SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Joe also appeared in a segment of Noggin's Story Time where he read "Socks for Stan" .
- Patton played Bot in Team Umizoomi and is also the voice of CatRat in the Netflix original series Gabby's Dollhouse, produced by DreamWorks and created by Traci Paige Johnson and Jennifer Twomey.
- An uncredited cameo of Joe from the episode "Blue Goes to the Doctor" was shown on a TV in the Nickelodeon movie Imagine That.
- A drumroll and a cymbal crash are heard when Joe finds a clue.
- He is the only host to sing all three types of ending songs. That being The So Long Song for both the original and new series, and The Goodbye Song for season 6.
- Joe has five appearances in the reboot and he is mentioned in Sleepy Singalong with Blue.
|Blue • Steve • Joe • Mailbox • Sidetable|
Mr. Salt • Mrs. Pepper • Paprika • Cinnamon
Shovel • Pail • Tickety • Slippery
|Magenta • Periwinkle • Snail • Felt Friends • Turquoise|
|Other recurring characters|
|Baby Bear • Boris • Gingerbread Boy • Green Puppy • Horace|
Miranda • Miss Marigold • Orange Kitten • Purple Kangaroo
|List of minor characters|