Donovan Patton (born March 1, 1978 in Guam) is best known for his role as Joe, the replacement of Steve in Blue's Clues for seasons 5 and 6. After the show ended, he went on to provide the voice of Bot on Team Umizoomi and Mr. Reese in the Cartoon Network show Clarence. He has also appeared in episodes of the television series Nurse Jackie and Blue Bloods. He has given the voice of CatRat in Gabby's Dollhouse, a DreamWorks-produced Netflix original series created by Traci Paige Johnson and Jennifer Twomey.
When he auditioned for the role as the host, he had no idea what Blue's Clues was about and had never watched the show. Because of the title, he believed that the show had to do with rhythm & blues and he imagined Blue as a dog with a soul patch & a saxophone. It was revealed in the Behind the Clues: 10 Years with Blue Documentary, which showed his audition tape, that Donovan even asked Steve himself what Blue's Clues was. Steve trained him to take over the host spot and advised him not to "think of [the show] as children's TV", but rather as "acting and telling the truth".
- Steve Burns also did not know what Blue's Clues was when he first auditioned and thought it was about music.
- He is also the only host not to use his real name in the series, likely because Donovan is a hard word for toddlers to pronounce.
- However, it's possible that it could have been shortened to Don, like Josh does for his first name.
- He acted in Shakespearean plays before landing his role as Joe.
- He is married and has two children himself.
- He admitted that he preferred when his daughter, who was 2 at the time, watched the Steve episodes as he did not grasped his effect of replacing Burns, even after he became a parent.
- Steve started training Donovan to be Joe as early as September 2000, while the 4th season was still being filmed and before the 3rd season finished airing.